Thursday, March 5, 2009

New garage door springs

Well, it's been quite a while since my last post, and I've gotten a few complaints. I trimmed out most of the alcove last weekend, and did some flooring, sanded the ceiling in Jen's office, etc, but I've mostly been very focused on work. I decided to take coming this weekend off and spend it on the house.

About a week ago, one of our garage door springs broke. It happened late at night, and we didn't know what had caused the loud noise until I tried to open the garage door the next day (which, needless to say, didn't work very well). So, I did some research online and found DDM Garage Doors, where you can learn everything you ever wanted to know about garage door springs. They'll even let you email them pictures of your old springs so they can help you select the right replacements.

Replacing springs can be very dangerous, but Jen and I followed their great online instructions, and the installation went smoothly. Now that our garage door opens again, I can start using the table saw to rip some trim. =)

Here's the old springs:



And the new ones we installed tonight:





Check back Sunday evening for some photos of the stuff we do this weekend!

No comments: